[FRIAM] Curmudgeons Unite!

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Thu Feb 6 16:26:08 EST 2020

I mean at some point party officials wanted or were willing to try an app.  Rather than tightly describing each aspect of its behavior and carefully testing each one, they trusted someone else.    As if you could insulate oneself from liability so easily.    I must really getting to be a cranky old man, but back when I was a kid I used assembly language!   Hardware devices did specific things and nothing else.  Now kids just spew dorkage at Python and hope for the best.   Gah.

On 2/6/20, 12:35 PM, "Friam on behalf of uǝlƃ ☣" <friam-bounces at redfish.com on behalf of gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:

    I almost agree. But there are limits to one's understanding of any given thing. E.g. I probably understand more about the Banking App an employee of my new credit union told me to install on my Android than that employee understands. ... I rejected their suggestion and told them that I'm confused why so many people keep banking info on notoriously insecure things like smart phones. But I have to admit that there's a limit to the extent to which I understand Android phones ... and I'm almost completely ignorant of their Banking App. How secure is secure enough for me to *delegate* that trustability? If they tell me some yahoo at "VeriSign" or wherever evaluated it? If I use both a PIN and a pattern to unlock my phone? Etc.

    You have to take leaps of faith at some point. When/where to do it is the question.

    --
    ☣ uǝlƃ