[FRIAM] Curmudgeons Unite!

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Feb 7 01:51:26 EST 2020

Jon writes:

“However, I would like to draw attention to the idea of critical
application software and its place in our culture since
the Apollo missions. Applications with respect to
military drones, nuclear power plants, hospital equipment,
telecommunications, and the like. Perhaps, we as our own
special breed of democratic society do not hold elections
to be of the same criticality. Perhaps, we as a culture do
not hold sanctity in elections to be necessary. Is this possible?”

People seem to have high expectations of hospital equipment but at the same time often become obese or alcoholic.  When a health crisis occurs, why should a lack of planning constitute an emergency for others?   Our special breed of democratic society seems to suffer a collective case of obesity.  Probably nothing will happen until there is heart attack.

Marcus