[FRIAM] Eric Smith's interview on Jim Rutt's podcast

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Feb 11 12:34:24 EST 2020

Eric -

    /There’s a quote and I can’t remember the source, I should, he’s a
    member of the astrobiology community, but it’s pithy and elegant.
    The quote was that the origin of life is not something that happens
    on a planet, it’s something that happens to a planet. That was
    really Harold’s insight that the origin of life should be understood
    through the emergence of a biosphere. It’s not something that’s
    contained within individuals. It’s rather a transition of systems,
    which means that it’s multi-component, it’s robust and it changes
    the dynamics of everything around it./

The quote sounds like David Greenspoon in "Lonely Planets" ?

I think the point you make here is highly relevant to the question of
collective intelligence...  /not something contained within individuals
but the transition of systems/.

- Steve
//