[FRIAM] Coronavirus vs Flu

Russell Standish lists at hpcoders.com.au
Sat Feb 15 18:09:07 EST 2020

Flu is already pandemic. COVID-19 looks like it will go pandemic, but
maybe quarantine will buy us enough time for vaccine. COVID-19 has
twice the mortality of flu, but don't know how transmissible it is. I
currently get a bad flu about once every 5 years, and even then I'm
probably only confined to bed for a day or so. Must be hell for the
more vulnerable amongst us though.

So, no - I'm not overly afraid of it, but it does have an impact on
everyday life (eg quarantine provisions are impacting this workshop
I'm running right now).

Cheers

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 10:21:00AM -0700, Owen Densmore wrote:
> I'm reading an NYTimes piece on the Coronavirus containing:
>

>     But one of the attendees, a public health student, had had enough.
>     Exasperated, she rattled off a set of statistics.
>
>     The virus had killed about 1,100 worldwide and infected around a dozen in
>     the United States. Alarming, but a much more common illness, influenza,
>     kills about 400,000 people every year, including 34,200 Americans last flu
>     season and 61,099 the year before.
>

> I had looked that up previously and was also puzzled .. Flu is way more deadly
> .. those numbers are staggering.
>
> The article was less on the mortality rates etc but on:
>     Coronavirus ‘Hits All the Hot Buttons’ for How We Misjudge Risk
> .. and goes on to explain the lopsided response.
>
> BTW: the Flu numbers were a wakeup call! I hope we all have one!
>
>    -- Owen

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders     hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
                      http://www.hpcoders.com.au