[FRIAM] What is the most important selection principle in evolution?

_ Bruno W wbruno at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 00:33:22 EST 2020

Not sure about the natural selection, but here are 2 small (possibly
important) corrections.
1.  The lifeguard is still to the left of the swimmer when the lifeguard
hits the water.  But by a much smaller distance than if
he had ran straight at the swimmer.
2.  The most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the least action
principle has to do with waves or paths, and doesn't
require the photon to know in advance where it should go.
In one version, the wave function of the photon goes out in all directions
with a phase at any point given by exp(iS/hbar) where
S is the action.  Because hbar is small, the waves oscillate rapidly and
generally cancel out everywhere, except of course
when the derivative of the action is zero and the wave stops oscillating
completely.  This will happen at the path of least (or in some
cases greatest) action.
Feynman did this one better by saying you don't need waves, you integrate
over all paths, and you get to include all kinds
of crazy paths, even ones that go in crazy loops and backwards in time and
whatever.  Once again the extreme action paths
are the only ones that survive in the classical limit (hbar -> 0).
Hope this helps?