[FRIAM] question for pragmatists and Piercians among us

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 10:21:50 EST 2020

If I read this post with a little empathy, it seems very provocative, indeed. Good job.

You start by striking a posture of checking your "in your own words" with Nick's. But you end with the suggestion that Pierce's work has nothing to offer in understanding what knowledge is, etc. And you obviously understand that Nick believes Pierce DOES offer at least some assistance in that effort.

If you were in a physical fight, this would be a *feint*, where you pretend to check your own words against Nick with your right hand. But then quickly punch him in the kidney with your left.

An authentic attempt to steel-man why Nick might believe Pierce can contribute to your effort might consist of identifying, for example, how establishing the truth of one's (or many's) conception of an object (which you admit Pierce helps with) might *indirectly* contribute to understanding the existence of those target objects. Personally, it's not clear to me that Pierce's words, themselves, help much in that regard. But his intellectual descendants' words *do* help, John Woods for me. But maybe others for you.

--
☣ uǝlƃ