[FRIAM] Graal VM

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Feb 21 11:50:02 EST 2020

Glen writes:

< But the question remains *when* to increase the field. >

With thermal (simulated) annealing, there's a protocol that starts hot and gets cold over time.   The inspiration comes from metallurgy where the range and schedule of the temperature sweep has to encompass the phase transitions of the material in question.   If you want to see the ice melt, you better sweep above 0 C.  It is less clear what the phase transitions of a population's `goodness' function would look like.  For a given constituency, it could have many phase transitions and they could be hard to find.    Quantum annealing is a similar protocol which is typically to start with all things be both true and false, and then over time (while tunnelling and entanglement occurs) one slowly reduces the field toward definite states.

Both are unsatisfactory because the `goodness' function is constantly evolving.  People are born and die, for one thing.   Taking an agent-centric approach would be one way to rationalize the literal use of these protocols because people often get more rigid as they age.   (Pity the diachronic personality.)   Liberals would run hotter and longer and conservatives would quench rapidly.

A related technique is parallel tempering (PT).   Here there are many temperatures at once and replicas move between temperatures from time to time, temperatures can even be added to be hotter or colder as needed.    PT avoids the possibility of having the optimizer mis-calibrated to the phase transitions of the referent.   This would be social engineering, if purposely applied to human populations, but clearly it happens anyway since some people have traumatic violent lives (or just dynamic lives) and for others every day is a lot like the last.  Swapping temperatures would be like the move Trading Places.

Another technique is population annealing where many individual solutions compete for survival during the cooling process.   Roughly, an evolutionary technique or capitalism without a safety net.

Then there is reverse quantum annealing, where one starts out with some solution and then perturbs it to make it better.   The size of the perturbation is simply how big of the field is activated, and for how long.    I think this the kind of protocol most people want from governance.   Small experiments that may improve things in their neighborhood.   Trump and other fascists like to identify some subspace, fix everything not in that subspace, and then erase it with massive uncontrolled perturbations.

It would better to have a bottom-up approach where people would learn to recognize being stuck-in-a-rut and subject themselves to a higher perturbation, rather than appealing to a monster to scramble other people who are already operating at high temperature.   That requires emotional intelligence that demagogues don't nurture.

Marcus