[FRIAM] Graal VM

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Feb 21 13:28:15 EST 2020

Glen writes:

< I'm not sure if it really takes emotional intelligence in the hoity-toity sense of that phrase. I think it merely takes recognition that you do have triggers. Anyone who's done something rash and has regrets should be capable of understanding they have triggers. >

Ok, there's always going to be someone that objects-to or dismisses a person using a new term or any degree of abstraction in an argument.  If EI is not a thing, then conduct a depth-first exploration on what EI is or is not.   Free variable, bind it.   Bad binding, unbind it.  Oh, but that would be the Socratic method, so I guess they don't have time because they have to dig a ditch or something.    It's not for `normal' people.

I would say one indicator of EI is the ability to control and diminish triggers without ongoing intervention.   It's not an all-or-nothing thing.  But for contrast, what to do when others are prone to triggering and make no effort to regulate?   One way is to create a controlled environment that imposes costs (broadly defined) but limits consequences.  Let them see what an escalated level of triggering looks like -- scare them straight.   That won't work when the person prone to triggering is POTUS.

But triggering is only one side of it.   How does one self-detect degraded performance,  insular thinking, habituation?  In the case of depression, the homunculi advisors will be depressed as well.

Marcus