[FRIAM] Graal VM

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Feb 23 13:45:41 EST 2020

Glen -

> I suppose the fault is mine for not *emphasizing* the inspiration for my use of the term. Here it is again if anyone might care.
>
> https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/wJutA2czyFg6HbYoW/what-are-trigger-action-plans-taps,
>> trigger - The simple, specific sight/sound/smell/thought/feeling/etc. which you hook a behaviour onto.

Thanks for *re*emphasizing this.   It helps me catch up on your specific
use of terminology and/but illuminates the question of your earlier
suggestion of *installing more triggers*.   As already stated, I tend to
interpret the term "trigger" as what they call a trigger-action.   It is
the *action* that I usually experience (a strong emotional response from
others, or my own internal emotional response, not always evidenced to
others clearly).

I recognized (during the course of this discussion) that one of my
"triggers" is the use of pop-psych (my judgement) terms like
"triggers".   When you suggested *installing more* all I could think was
"there are already TOO MANY Trigger-Actions in this world, whyTF would
you want to pollute the social sphere with *yet more*????"   But after
reading this article more thoroughly and reflecting on my understanding
of your nature as well as reflecting on my own navigation of the social
landscape I have co-created with those around me, I see the potential
value/point of this TAP business.

As a conflict-avoider, I learned to internalize the Action part of
Trigger-Action quite a bit early on.   While this has some short-term
value, it has some long-term costs.  Had I recognized my own triggers
more overtly and consciously changed my associated actions, my life
might have been more fulfilling.  In particular I wouldn't have wasted
so much of my own energy/volition/agency dancing through the landscape
*avoiding* everyone else's triggers (to varying degrees of success).

I had a friend with a brain injury who struggled even 25 years later
(and lots of therapy including ECGs) to keep on task and not get
flummoxed by various order-of-event sequencing in his plans.   With your
TAP reference, I now realize that he coped with that by building TA
chains to get through complex operations that you and I might handle
intuitively.   I was often frustrated by the granularity of these
chains, and when working with him would effectively disrupt his
"sequencing" by skipping a step or doing them out of order.