[FRIAM] A longer response to Dave's question

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Fri Feb 28 10:46:33 EST 2020

Yes, following Nick's comments and my prior email, there are multiple
issues, and I don't think I'm playing fast and loos with them, though maybe
we need some additional terms to differentiate things.

1) There is a legitimate question about how *reliably* certain experiences
can be produced under various circumstances. For example, how does one
reliably get the sense of floating through a connected world when on
certain drugs, chanting in certain circumstances with a group of believers,
running continuously for a certain length of time, meditating steadily on
the meaning of certain "koans", etc.

2) When one is in those "altered states" how *reliable* are the full
variety of experiences they encounter? If, during one of these experiences,
I see you melt into a puddle on the ground, can I gain nourishment by
drinking you through a straw? When I experience benzene as snakes, and I
throw the benzene a mouse, does it eat the mouse? Is the benzene happier
when on a heat rock?

3) When the "altered state" is over, how *reliable* are the insights people
am left with. We readily accept (now) that benzene is a ring, but none of
of think it is made up of snakes.... but both of those certainly were
experienced (see point 2), but the experiencer-in-question only considered
the ring part insightful, and that seems worth noting. "Insights" that
sustain after the altered states are over sometimes seem to be serious
advances, but other times seems to produce problems, ranging from mundane
dumb ideas ("Hey man, we should, like, quit our jobs and start a band, that
only plays bowling alleys") to small tragedies (such as an aquantance who
killed himself after an acid trip in which he thought he saw God and God
didn't like him) to large tragedies (wars fought and lost due to visions of
various types). How do we get a sense of which post-altered-state insights
will pan out, and which wont?

William James would be all about 1 and 2. Peirce all about 3. Though they
would both have at least some interest in all three.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Department of Justice - Personnel Psychologist
American University - Adjunct Instructor
<echarles at american.edu>