[FRIAM] climate change questions

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 13:22:54 EST 2020

I really appreciate lists like this. I'd add a few of my own: only fly on business and only when necessary, work remotely as much as possible, consolidate online orders to reduce the number of deliveries, tap water, etc. I fail often, though, e.g. taking 2 extra bodies with me on my last business trip, extra trips with my pickup truck during my recent move, eating lots of meat while on the cancer drugs, etc.

The trouble, however, is that no amount of individual cutting back by a conscientious person will compensate for the behavior of your average American. Renee's son, for example, lives in fear of tap water and, therefore, only drinks bottled water ... mostly from little plastic bottles ... never mind all the plastic in his clothing, which consists mostly of tech-fabrics. My closest and oldest friend is, in spite of my attempts to shame him, a committed tourist, flying to 2 or more distant lands every year just for *pleasure*. And even though he has a decent public transit route to his job, he drives his (admittedly efficient) gas-powered scooter ~40 miles every workday .... never mind all the .75 ton trucks carrying city-cowboys to their desk jobs at 85 mph in, say, Dallas, TX.

It seems a little like bvllsh¡t. Their behaviors are easier and more "efficient" than the penny-wise behaviors that are more energy efficient, in the same way bvllsh¡t spreads/survives more easily than truth. Any solution will come in the form of something that severely *resets* all of our behavior, be it government or the earth, herself.

--
☣ uǝlƃ