[FRIAM] more Epstein fallout

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sun Jan 12 11:52:51 EST 2020

Merle wrote:

"The big takeaway from her workshop is:  "those of us advocating positive social change have a sacred duty to move that money from where it was ill-got and put it to use in rightful ways."

First we have to presume there is such a thing as positive social change, as opposed to change motivated by arbitrary preferences and promoted by organizations that happen not to be taxed.

Why is it important that a researcher or some agent for whatever kind of change get access to Epstein's assets?   Shouldn't claimants have the first cut?  If illegal activity led to the assets in the first place, then the government could seize that property.  What consensus definition of rightful is there other than the law?   I suppose given the fact the government designates some organizations as non-profit, it is pretty much a free-for-all of opportunity.   All non-profits can claim to be on equal footing with regard to their sacred duties and rightful uses of the money.

Is there really a significant distinction between a for-profit and a non-profit and the use of money from culturally-alien sources?  It's all compensated by tax policy.   Why shouldn't start-ups take money from the Saudi public investment fund?   Their treatment of women and gay people is horrific.    A company that completely relies on that funding will be motivated to look away from atrocities by that government.   On the other hand, the managers of that fund may become more aware of what it takes to be visible in western economies too, and our culture will bleed into theirs.

Marcus