[FRIAM] description - explanation - metaphor - model - and reply

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 15 07:07:19 EST 2020

Dear Eric and Nick,

That you found value in my comments is pleasing and I thank you for your equally thoughtful response.

I would be very interested in continuing the conversation (perhaps offline from FRIAM?) and seeing your insights into evolutionary theory.

In furtherance of that objective, a couple of comments.

1) I have a near lifelong interest in metaphors and modeling. Metaphor and model was central to my Ph.D. dissertation - which is when I first encountered MacCormac (MacCormac,Earl R., A Cognitive Theory of Metaphor, Cambridge,Mass.: MIT Press, 1985). I have had many pleasant conversations with Nick on this topic at Friam.

2) Many of the comments I made originally will be resolved by understanding each other's interpretations of words and phrases.

3) I have a deeply viscerally negative reaction tot he concept and word of Truth/truth and that antipathy is at the foundation of my "objections" to the explanation-description-explanation stack.

Clearly, some kind of starting point is required; from which a theory can be developed. What seems, to me, to be necessary is an explanation-model-metaphor sufficiently "stable" that the energies of investigation can be focused on intended and unintended consequences with little effect on the "foundation." (I keep having mental visions of waves eating away at the cliffs and houses sliding into the ocean versus waves crashing against rocks and leaving the structures above intact.)

I think that a means for establishing some kind of "stable" starting point is your actual objective, not some kind of "truthy" foundation.

The metaphor of a 'stable foundation' inspires the idea that stability is relative and proportional to both the structure to be erected on that foundation, and the context in which the foundation must be established. Long ago when I was an expediter for a housing company, we built the foundation for a two-story home in 3-5 days (most of which was concrete drying and curing). To build a 100 story office tower requires a more elaborate and stable foundation that might take a few months to establish. Just up the street from my office, they are building a small three story building and have been working on the foundation (cofferdams, pilings, piers, etc.) for nine-months now.

I am increasingly curious about the theory you intend to erect on the metaphor/model you will establish.

4) My ignorance of the details of evolution and Darwin has created the perception that evolutionary explanations are focused on discrete species. The broken-wing behavior of the killdeer evolves/is-selected-for in a kind of "isolation," as a response to pressures on the killdeer alone.

Hence my question about the gullibility of the fox and notions of co-evolution.

Is it possible to develop a theory of evolution at the complex-system (e.g. killdeer, fox, and slected aspects of their shared ecological niche) level? A complex system begins at some kind of equilibrium, is disturbed by change in any of its elements, and seeks a new equilibrium.

Comparison of the relative duration of a given equilibrium state and/or the degree to which it could accommodate discrete disruptions and still "recover" its initial equilibrium (or close approximation in the sense of a strange attractor) and other measures might be used to establish "fitness."

Bottom line, I will enjoy participating in any discussion — hopefully for mutual benefit — but even on a selfish personal learning basis.

davew