[FRIAM] career choices as combinatoric search

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 12:21:28 EST 2020

Hi, Dave,

AT LAST!  SOMETHING WE AGREE ABOUT!

I think you will read with pleasure the attached Letter to the American
Psychologist written in 1969 but not published until a few years later.  The
back story was that the temporary job I had at Swarthmore had run out, and
the job market had tightened and I was in danger of being SOOL, with a wife
and two young kids.  So I wrote a letter describing my proposed teaching
program and sent it to 52 colleges and universities around the country.  I
got two nibbles and one bite.  Whew.  After I got the job at Clark, I sent
the proposal to the AP as a "letter to the editor".

I think it also explains why we both believe so fervently in FRIAM.  I
wonder if the same kind of argument could be made for a very special sort of
computer science program.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com