[FRIAM] Your worst nightmare

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Fri Jan 24 01:04:52 EST 2020

To put a Popper inspired philosophy of science-hat on this topic. The key
is in the falsification and good explanations process. Conjectures form in
a human's mind without consciously knowing where it comes from. To try to
use introspection to understand the roots of the conjecture is fruitless. A
process of cognitive falsification then takes this conjecture further. The
first stages might be a very informal process. Without expressing it like
that, the mind asks - I have this idea, why could it be false. If it passes
the first stages then a good explanation for the conjecture is
developed and it could be put out there in the world. This idea which
originally started as a conjecture now develops into knowledge whilst
continuously open to be falsified and better explanations are developed.
There is no knowledge that is immune against falsification and attempts to
hamper the falsification process limits the growth of knowledge.
I think this is a different paradigm in support of Nick's point that too
strong emphasis on introspection shuts down rather than inspiring inquiry.