[FRIAM] Trumps motives not judiciable because they are "in his head"

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Thu Jan 30 16:47:12 EST 2020

I’m glad to have these resources, particularly the lawfare breakdowns.

However, in this conversation I would like to see us separate the things we credit with reflecting on real ideas from patent political nonsense and bad faith.  Dershowitz exists to prove the maxim that there isn’t really any democratic robustness in the US legal system, and that in fact any outcome can be achieved through a parade of nonsense by whoever has the most money and power.  That is why he takes case after case that have no legal merits, to preen by showing that it is the singer — particularly the singer Dershowitz — entirely, and not at al the song.

The right wing of the senate is also a case study in how corruption works at the institutional level, and how systems like Venezuela develop in the stages before the society is in riots and the outside world starts to notice that they exist.  So what Dershowitz does in the senate is even more extravagant nonsense than what he would do in an actual court, to emphasize the fact that not only he, but they, achieve ends through manipulation of power without any role for principal.

In contrast, when there is real law, and a good-faith effort to use law to create a fair playing field, there can be a good discussion of how legal precedent is the applied domain of psychology.  Then we can discuss the difference between German interpretations of the relative merits of punishment versus rehabilitation, and American positions on similar questions (perhaps more historically than in this particular distorted present).

Anyway, one more thing to feel sick about with an understanding that one has very little and limited agency in this big broken world,

Eric