[FRIAM] Science Commits Suicide

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 12:50:35 EDT 2020

Jochen,

When I joined the academic world, it was in the last days of the ill-paid, odd-ball, professor, entangled in ivy, cloaked in moth-eaten tweeds, harboring dreams of making The Great Discovery.  That’s the life I bought into.   The deal I accepted was that I would not be paid much money, and, in return, I could think about pretty much whatever I wanted to think about.  Slow summers in some shack in the Appalachians, pondering the great unknowns.

First there was Sputnik, which made professors think of themselves as celebrities.  And then there was Academic Reaganism, that enforced a production metaphor on us.  I mourn the loss of the Jimmy Stewart professor.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/