[FRIAM] Manifold Clarification

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 23:47:21 EDT 2020

So, Frank.  Think of the coast of England/Scotland.  It is infinitely indented.  Anytime we draw a map of it, we enclose every point on that coast line and an area that is not within that coastline.  So, wrap England in plastic film and pull the film as tight as we can.  We have a shroud.  Is there a mathematical name for that?  OK, now, let the plastic be infinitely flexible, and let us suck all the air out of the space between the shroud and the coastline.  What do we have now?  Is there a mathematical name for that?

Let me give them both names.  Let me call one a shroud and the other a super shrink wrap.  I can imagine some mathematician, just for the hell of it, spending a life time working out what the area is between the shroud and the super shrink wrap.  And then, having worked all that out, claiming, as do you, that none of these entities, shroud, ssw, or area between, exist in nature.  They are mathematical objects, only.

Which is why Hywel used to say what he used to say about mathematics. Am I write about any of this?

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/