[FRIAM] millenarianism

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Sat Jun 6 11:17:05 EDT 2020

The situation really looks bad. After communism has collapsed, the West thought capitalism and democracy have won. They have won, for a short time. What we see now is a crisis of capitalism & globalisation: all the jobs went to China which fights democracy, and the unlimited exploitation of nature has caused the climate crisis (including wildfires as never before)https://voiceofaction.org/collapse-of-civilisation-is-the-most-likely-outcome-top-climate-scientists/What if Trump is only a symptom of a deeper problem: capitalism as a whole is on the road towards the end of civilization, and the looting has already started? Corrupt politicians and billionaires grab as much as they can before they disappear in New Zealand or in the bunker, where they are guarded by their own private army.-J.
-------- Original message --------From: uǝlƃ ☣ <gepropella at gmail.com> Date: 6/6/20  16:30  (GMT+01:00) To: FriAM <friam at redfish.com> Subject: Re: [FRIAM] millenarianism Agreed. To be fair, though, just as Dave announced he had to leave the meeting, he was asked to quickly state why he thought the accusations against Trump supporters was a mischaracterization. He called out the anti-Trump crowd for over-generalizing those who voted for Trump and briefly described a few reasons a *heterogeneous* collection of people might have different reasons for doing so (conservative court appointments, tough talk to China, etc. -- arguably legitimate things some of us might want in a President). This post of his was, therefore, a legitimate response to that request, coming up with a narrative circumscribing the faulty thinking of the anti-Trump crowd.However, in so doing, he attempts to right one wrong with another wrong. His post rightly calls out the over-generalizing fallacy of the anti-Trump by then over-generalizing (or outright false narrative cartooning) them. My tack would have been to demonstrate the diversity of the not-pro-but-not-anti Trump tolerators first. *Then* maybe dive into why the anti-Trump crowd exhibits such flawed thinking. And FWIW, I agree with his gist that the anti-Trump crowd is, at least a bit, eschatological. But I think lots of us, regardless of political bent, are eschatological. We see it in the Singularians, the bioethicists re: DIY Bio, ecologists, climatologists, Steve Guerins re: societal phase transitions >8^D, etc.The story could easily be rounded out with a demonstration that the anti-Trump crowd is also diverse. Not all of us are eschatological. Some of us are simply embarrassed by him. I'll take an Evil Genius over a bumbling moron any day of the week. And my reasons for purposefully over-generalizing my characterization of the Trump tolerators as morons or cult members is a (likely misguided) attempt to shame or guilt them into thinking a little harder about who they vote for. It's got nothing to do with "millenarianism".On 6/5/20 11:16 PM, Russ Abbott wrote:> Presumably, davew doesn't believe that the preceding characterizes the way any living human being thinks. So why pretend that it does other than to insult people? And why does he want to insult people? We don't need any more of that. We are already fully supplied with insults from the insulter-in-chief. Let's not make things worse.-- ☣ uǝlƃ- .... . -..-. . ...- --- .-.. ..- - .. --- -. -..-. .-- .. .-.. .-.. -..-. -... . -..-. .-.. .. ...- . -..-. ... - .-. . .- -- . -..FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listservZoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriamun/subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.comarchives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/FRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/