[FRIAM] millenarianism

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 6 12:26:47 EDT 2020

glen and steve,

Nick made me do it. He asked the question. And I made the mistake or pretty much answering him, not the group as a whole with my ** written ** response. As noted in my apology to Russ, the general tenor of the paragraphs reflected the mood/tone and the mindset of those at the Mother Temple immediately post election — and my bemusement by it — but a tone that continues to reverberate.

The nearly three years of my regular attendance at FRIAM, post-election, I made frequent attempts to do just as you suggest - tease apart the threads of belief among both pro and anti-Trump camps. When it comes to political discussion, neither heterogeneity nor nuance seems to have much value. (I think this might count as steelmanning in some sense.)

My rationale for the millennarian wrapper around my reply was not for comparison. It was a bad attempt to use the Nacerima technique to make "the familiar strange" in a way that allows people to become aware of that which they take for granted or to which they are usually blind - in the way that most people are unaware of the culture within which they are embedded.

I am merely inept, not evil.

Although ...

"basket of deplorables" "10 to 15 percent of Americans are not very good people" I know they are talking about me. :)

davew