[FRIAM] chicken-egg::gumflap-talk

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Jun 8 10:58:16 EDT 2020

Glen writes:

< I don't see any reason why the pseudo-synchronous meatspace conversations [†] are anything other than compact versions of the asynchronous post-response format.  Some of us may be more or less capable of near-real-time empathy than others. That doesn't mean near-real-time is fundamentally different from asynchronous. >

You remarked that punching was also a form of manipulation.  I would say empathy is too.   It is a mode of operation that prioritizes accommodation of a different kind of signal set.   Many of those signals are not directly available in written form.   Some writers will hide those signals others will try to encode them.   Empathy is one mode of interaction to facilitate intimate or candid communication.  If that's not the goal, then it is the wrong tool.

I suppose compactness or sparsity gets at it.  I was thinking of a recurrent graph that had direct connections between layers vs. a graph with connections that skipped between layers.  Short term memory limitations cause meatspace conversations to be more locally dense.   A whiteboard can make them a little less compact.

Marcus