[FRIAM] Thoughts on the Floyd protests

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Tue Jun 9 22:14:38 EDT 2020

John Oliver, several days ago, offered some information on the subject at a time when I had still seen none of any interpretive substance in the NYT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4cea5oObY <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf4cea5oObY>
I have since seen a couple of articles that make an effort to sketch what is really under discussion, and to estimate how much of the sound-bite output is shorthand for serious discussions, and which parts are bandwagoning, posturing, or noise.

There seems to be an ocean of material out there, whether books, video programs, or articles, that tries to get at elements of causation that tie our current system together in this dysfunctional tension, and at least a part of that work seems to be produced intelligently and in good faith.  There should be plenty for thoughtful people to join into, to try to get clearer on what things can be changed unilaterally, which things can only be changed jointly if they are to be robust, and in that way what a design would look like to get from where we are to a country that was not so savage in so many ways.

Eric