[FRIAM] Thoughts on the Floyd protests

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 18:23:31 EDT 2020

I've thought that Portland's "street response team" [†] is a good idea that addresses much of this, at least if the idea is taken seriously and extrapolated. It helps address the militarization of police by allowing the police to be/stay that way, but then NOT sending police out for everything. The composition of the response team can be dynamic, maybe even self-organizing to some extent. And if it were extrapolated to (e.g.) groups like CERT (of which Renee' was a member back in Oregon), neighborhood watch, suburban/corporate security services, etc. it could be a serious approach to "defunding" the police. (Defund in quotes because it's not really defunding them, just changing the way it's all organized.)

[†] https://www.kgw.com/article/news/amid-spike-in-911-calls-tied-to-homelessness-street-roots-pitches-response-teams/283-cb0ee8bc-f0e1-4c22-984e-f1c0244e9a7a

--
☣ uǝlƃ