[FRIAM] chicken-egg::gumflap-talk

glen∈ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 12:46:40 EDT 2020

The deadlift helps you learn how the posterior chain of muscles and connective tissue work together to achieve a complex action [†] like, say, getting out of your lazy-boy. One of the common flaws in weightlifting is to focus on isolating muscles. Things like the deadlift are more like calisthenics. That compositional (tacit) understanding of how your body works together as a system helps will all sorts of things including balance, objective-orientation, the relation between your bowels and bladder, etc. Systems like crossfit are loaded with that sort of thing ... but I'm not a fan. Calisthenics and yoga would be better. The main reason I like the deadlift is that it helps me understand the task of picking up my 800 lb hight CoG motorcycle [‡] after I've dropped it (which happens embarrassingly often).

[†] And it was complex actions that the Maegherman article speculated might trigger M1, even if their simple behaviors did not.

[‡] My last bike was a Ulysses, which held the gas in the frame, significantly lowering the CoG. But it also weighed only 400 lb, if I remember right.