[FRIAM] Science and Black Lives Matter

Russell Standish lists at hpcoders.com.au
Fri Jun 12 03:06:02 EDT 2020

As a white caucasian male working in a STEM field, I could feel the
same, as it seems to be dominated by Asian males (the two women in our group,
including our boss who is a women, are both Asian too).

I don't though, as they are all great guys, and good at their
jobs. Hats off to the recruiters.

In our country, it seems to be the asian-background community that has
the right encouragement structure for their kids to do STEM
subjects. But only for boys - it is still a big problem about the lack
of girls going into these fields.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 12:34:33PM -0600, Merle Lefkoff wrote:
> “I go to conferences, and I’m often the only person of color in the room. You
> sit in a classroom and all the scientists that are being introduced are white,
> white, white,” she said. “And then you sit there as a black student, and you
> ask, ‘Do I even have a place in science?’”
>
> The voices rising up in protest across America against police brutality and
> systemic racism have been clear: Black lives matter. Now scientists are
> bringing that cry to their labs and research centers. On Wednesday, thousands
> of researchers across the country are on strike, forgoing research, classes,
> meetings and other work to instead spend the day calling for actions to protect
> the lives of black people.
>
> The strike follows a reckoning, on social media, of how a lack of diversity in
> many scientific fields make black students often feel unwelcome, unsupported,
> or even unsafe. “Every time one of us is rejected, beat down, dismissed,
> ridiculed, or murdered, I question why I am still in academia,” wrote Cassandra
> Extavour, an evolutionary and developmental biologist at Harvard University. “I
> love science, but justice is more important.”
>
> Research has shown that “green STEM fields” — the science, technology and math
> disciplines that span climate, conservation, environmental, earth and
> atmospheric sciences — are among the least diverse in science. That lack of
> diversity sits uneasily with findings by numerous studies that people of color
> are more likely to live in places that suffer from pollution, and are more at
> risk of developing associated health problems, like asthma or heart disease.
>
> Continue reading the main sto
>
> --
> Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
> Center for Emergent Diplomacy
> emergentdiplomacy.org
> Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
> merlelefkoff at gmail.com
> mobile:  (303) 859-5609
> skype:  merle.lelfkoff2
> twitter: @Merle_Lefkoff

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders     hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
                      http://www.hpcoders.com.au