[FRIAM] alternative response

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 14:53:17 EDT 2020

Aw, booo!

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

From: Friam <friam-bounces at redfish.com> On Behalf Of Frank Wimberly
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2020 12:52 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam at redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] alternative response

The Shadow.

And I didn't look it up.

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,
Santa Fe, NM 87505

505 670-9918
Santa Fe, NM

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020, 12:43 PM <thompnickson2 at gmail.com <mailto:thompnickson2 at gmail.com> > wrote:

Russ,

I seem to have confounded two issues, here: Is Engineering ever a science, and is software engineering in any sense a science?  Will we ever converge on the Best Way To Build A Bridge?  And, Is Software engineering like bridge-building?   I guess that in bridge building there are certain harsh realities to which we must conform.  Are there any harsh realities to which software engineering must conform?  What are they?  Does having to conform to harsh realities make an activity a science?

“Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?”  [I bet you nobody on this list knows the origin of that quote without looking it up.]

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/