[FRIAM] alternative response

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Wed Jun 17 11:03:25 EDT 2020

The point is to construct some explanation for how the concept of free will could possibly be meaningful by considering a range of commitments in turn (and then revoking them and trying something else until something works).   I can't see there are any commitments that make the idea meaningful.   Nonetheless, our legal system includes notions like intent and punishment like they are meaningful, and not just another social apparatus forced on non-believers by believers.  Free will is a problem for believers in an omniscient god, because it gives and requires individuals to have the means to sin and the means to avoid sinning.  But with that freedom, god is no longer omniscient.