[FRIAM] alternative response

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:15:03 EDT 2020

Gary,

I assume you have your doubts about the “cherry tree” incident, even tho it was told to you on the authority of your 4th grade school marm.  How we make these distinctions is fascinating.  How “we” take vitamins, even though our doctors assure us that the only consequence is that we have “expensive pee”.  Quine, it think it is, following Peirce, in a way, argues that every belief is in enmeshed in a vast trodden-down midden of beliefs.  Given this, it’s a miracle that we ever change our minds about anything, without dynamiting the whole midden.

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/