[FRIAM] falsifying the lost opportunity updating mechanism for free will

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 21:53:19 EDT 2020

On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 6:22 PM ∄ uǝlƃ <gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I'm doing is defining a mechanism that *might* generate the
> phenomenon of interest. It's typical simulation. If it *cannot* generate
> the phenomenon, then that falsifies this mechanism, which is what we want,
> falsifiable hypotheses.

What do you mean by "generate the phenomenon"? If the phenomenon is
non-existent, it can't be generated. Even if that weren't a problem, who is
to judge whether "the phenomenon" had been generated? And how is that
judgment made?

On the other hand, how do you establish that "it *cannot* generate the
phenomenon"?  That sounds like a pretty hard thing to establish on the
basis of empirical evidence.

This all seems to be digging a deeper hole.