[FRIAM] paradigms, new and used

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 18:22:25 EDT 2020

Scientists have deeply held convictions of the "truth" inherent in
mathematics.

In order for the "collective intelligence" to imagine an
alternative paradigm (even Stephen G's genius can not do this alone), we
have to start by gathering the critical mass of system thinkers that I
believe exist now.  They must put a stake in the heart of certainty and
assuming mining the past can help very much.  There are no real precedents
for what we now face.  Then, we must understand the boundaries defining the
content of the system; understand the structure, the way the system is
organized in its connected, dynamic relationships; recognize the feedback
loops that provide emergent behavior in the system as well as the system's
adaptation to change; take a look at Meadows' leverage points for
intervening on behalf of emergent outcomes.

And finally--learn how to facilitate group processes so that new paradigms
for a new future can emerge.

Diffusion of the innovative paradigm--I truly believe--requires a moral
commitment to help facilitate self-organization through peer networks that
are heterophilous, that is diverse and non-elite, as opposed to
homophilous, networks where high-status individuals only confer with each
other.  Diffusion research began with E.M Rogers' work in 1962, and it's
still the standard today (with a Fifth edition published in 2005). Rogers
found that adoption of innovation takes place when information is exchanged
through interpersonal relationships.  The data are shown as a bell-shaped
frequency curve or an S-shape cumulative curve, considered "normal".  (See
Rogers, "Diffusion of Innovation.")  The advent of mass media and social
media has evidently not made much difference, although there doesn't seem
to be a lot of new research post-Rogers.

What's interesting for us today--and especially my own work as I develop a
collaborative "Playbook" training manual for facilitators leading local
community-based groups into an altered, but adjacent possible future
world--is that Rogers' research looked at how shifts in agricultural
methods came about.  The "regenerative agriculture" movement is diffusing a
new paradigm for how everyone might grow food in the future. The new
agriculture is being promulgated and adopted through heterophilous methods
and early adopters at a grass-roots level, NOT in the academy.

--
Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy