[FRIAM] Pandemic Over!

∄ uǝlƃ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 13:35:37 EDT 2020

Ha! Now I'm completely confused. I thought you were saying:

  Seeing indifference to public health *leads* to outrage.

which is what it does to me. But what you were actually saying is:

  Seeing indifference to public health leads to indifference.

I'm not so sure. It hearkens to the other thread on the Markovity of sedimentary flow and the scope of our composition functions. When Renee' was getting her Bachelor's, one of her assignments was to do a "window assessment" of our neighborhood's public health. So, we drove around on most of the streets in a 2.5 mile radius one afternoon. I drove while she took notes. Based on our conversations, her compositional scope increased by a HUGE amount. She was already primed to see things in a particular way. But that little tour had a huge impact.

That argues that witnessing indifference doesn't necessarily reinforce indifference *if* one is already tuned to seeing injustice. I suppose it does reinforce in- and out-group identity, though. "Which side are you on, boy? Which side are you on?"

--
☣ uǝlƃ