[FRIAM] Societal collapse

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 12:26:36 EDT 2020

Jochen, below an excerpt from my chapter in the forthcoming book
"Transforming" to be published later this year by Lexington Books/Rowman &
Littlefield.  Thanks so much for the terrific Nature link.  Wish I had seen
it before I submitted my chapter.

"Archaeologist David E. Stuart writes that what archaeologists call
the *Chacoan
Culture *created the grandest regional social and political system in
prehistoric North America. (Stuart, 2014, 7). However, after seven hundred
years of development, the Chacoan society lasted only two hundred years
“collapsing spectacularly in a mere forty.” Stuart asks the questions: “*Why
did such a great society collapse?  If another catastrophe befell us in our
own time, who would survive and become a new future—the present*?” (Ibid.).
 Stuart surmised a lesson for our own time as he wrote about conditions
that worsened with the arrival of extended drought “that ripped apart the
very fabric of the Chaco phenomenon.” (Stuart 2014, 120).

>From Wikipedia:  “Others suggest that more developed villages, such as that
at Chaco Canyon, exhausted their environments, resulting in widespread
deforestation and eventually the fall of their civilization through warfare
over depleted resources.”

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 2:55 AM Jochen Fromm <jofr at cas-group.net> wrote:

> Here is another interesting Nature link
>
> https://www.nature.com/news/the-greatest-vanishing-act-in-prehistoric-america-1.18700
>

> The collapse of civilizations is a fascinating phenomenon, from the
> abandoned pueblo dwellings in the Mesa Verde National Park to the remains
> of the Minoan culture on Crete.
>
> Would you like to present parts of your work on Friday? Maybe you have an
> old PowerPoint presentation that you can show us via Zoom?
>
> -J.

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
President, Center for Emergent Diplomacy
emergentdiplomacy.org
Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA
merlelefkoff at gmail.com <merlelefoff at gmail.com>
mobile:  (303) 859-5609