[FRIAM] observability and randomness

∄ uǝlƃ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 10:59:05 EDT 2020

You're argument took a very cool turn from the distribution of inheritance actions to the distribution of cards and (conditional) distributions of playing the hand. I think you're right to call out the collective/systemic landscape vs. the individual's wiggle inside it (if that wiggle exists at all).

At the last Zoom meeting, I argued that one can't (credibly) be proud of something one had no hand in. E.g. being proud of your eye color or something John Locke or Thomas Paine said umpteen million years ago. Someone interrupted another discussant later to shout out "What about being ashamed? Can you be ashamed of something you had no hand in?" I didn't answer because he was interrupting someone else. But my answer is "Yes", you can be ashamed of something you had no hand in. The reason I answer that way is because shame (and yes SteveS, guilt too) are triggers for improvement, change, evolution. Pride is inherently conservative, whereas shame is inherently progressive. Pride is backward looking and shame is forward looking.

So, as long as we're assuming there is *some* tiny bit of wiggle we might have some control over, the direction of the arrow of time matters. And that's what allows one to argue for actions like reparations as well as adjusting one's behavior over *iterated* poker games. As I argued with Jon, the iteration (and approximating similarity measures for successive conditions) matters. Whatever little wiggle there is *might* need iteration to build up, in contrast to a typical sense of "free will" where people think they have huge, game-changing options at every instant.

--
☣ uǝlƃ