[FRIAM] observability and randomness

∄ uǝlƃ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 11:29:29 EDT 2020

I have such trouble slicing out content of your posts. Pfft. They hang together too well. The story of the productive reviewer is well-taken. My own story was with an anonymous reviewer who *seriously* trashed one of our papers. The secret was that this reviewer thought almost exactly like me. Every criticism they raised was something I'd raised with my team at some earlier point, only to be kneaded into submission for the morale of the team. So the reviewer did me a great favor. I didn't get the paper rewritten into a form that would satisfy either of us. But we addressed all their points well enough to satisfy the reviewer (or so they just gave up because we were so willing to make changes even if we didn't do it "right" 8^). But this was just a paper. I can't even imagine the amount of work it would take to write a (credibly sourced) book. I've started one with a set of essays, only to leave them languishing in some dark corner of the cloud.

I have to take issue with your inference that I argue for intellectual independence. I strongly believe whatever it is that goes on inside people's bodies is *private*. But it is also completely dependent on whatever signals have impinged on them over their lifetime. The structure/meaning of whatever's inside may not map at all to the structure inside someone else. But that structure is a slavish representation of the events that built that person. So, I can't argue for independence. But I can argue for pluralism because the *only* way to get to where we are is to do it all over again, in every detail of every ontogenic event. Any shortcuts/metaphors one makes between one part and another will be ignorant abstractions that humiliate the things being mapped.

Regardless, I think you're right to call that dependence on ontogeny (of the collective as well as the individual) "Baconian" because staying close to the data, close to the evidence, in an intimate and intertwined relationship with the world is the only way we could ever map our structures, find common ground. The common ground comes only through rapid, regular, check-ins with a world we're both intimate with.

And this is one reason I like papers better than books (and criticism better than praise). Books are abstracted from the intimate world relationship in 2 ways: 1) they don't age well and 2) they're not (usually) peer/critically reviewed. (BTW, I'm not including "panning" or the sneerclub's disdain for this or that idiom or subculture. That's not what I mean by "critical", if it wasn't obvious.) Papers maintain a participative intimacy with the world that books can't. Books are for ideologues who want to retreat from the world ... argue with tame versions of themselves.

But, having said all that, I do see how your compositions of naturfacts (things you didn't invent yourself) tell an ontogenic story about the historical trace of signals that impinged upon you! And I do find that to be much less abstracting/humiliating than typical books. I haven't seen your book, yet. But my guess is it tells a more interactive story than something like Horney's book for 2 reasons: 1) Horney's book is fairly old by now and I would have a hard time hunting for the evidence I'd need to evaluate any claims she made and 2) my truck with biology, physics, and math, while impoverished compared to most of the people on this list, is much better than with psychodynamics.

As for the truth-concept being built? I remain skeptical. The only truth there can be will resist any abstraction or separation into a *concept*. The only way to stick to, to follow with an epsilon delay, a coherent truth is an intimate relationship with the world.

--
☣ uǝlƃ