[FRIAM] Can SCOTUS limit itself to law without making policy?

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 15:05:15 EDT 2020

Basically agree with you. (Justice Marshall decided that courts have the
power to rule that laws violate the constitution.)

I think that in some countries a court that finds a law somehow invalid is
obligated to suggest changes that would make it valid -- and not just throw
it out. (Perhaps that's the same thing you read.)

Drawing a line between policy and legal issues would be one way to "harden"
the courts against overt political interference. But can it be done in a
way that would be widely accepted and then implemented?

-- Russ Abbott
Professor, Computer Science