[FRIAM] A thread for why did we first eat or drink that?

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Dec 2 14:13:49 EST 2021

Gil=

I don't have a good answer to this one, but experience it myself all the
time.

SNL writers sure put a fine point on it though:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/bad-decision-family/2868100

In the spirit of thread-twining...   I wonder if this "instinct"
(habit?) isn't rooted in some kind of group-survival by helping (some
of) us escape the local minima of "one bad experience"... smearing the
distinction (maybe?) amongst possible worlds?  A
semantic/cognitive/perceptual mechanism for annealing in CS speak?

Also, it might be noted that natural pesticides include things like
garlic and capsacin, suggesting that we are drawn to them *because* they
are even harsher on our possible parasites than they are on ourselves?

Somewhere I once read something about the positive correlation between
health-promoting phytonutrients and the commonly associated
bitter/sour/astringent tastes they come with.   This source barely
references it... https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11101467/   and this
one addresses the bitter/toxic correlation:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7878094/

My own PseudoCalvinist upbringing instructed me "it has to taste bad to
be good (for you)" contradicting (or explaining) Poppinses idea about "a
spoonful of sugar".

It is also the case that "adult tastes" are almost all "acquired".  Few
of us really liked our first shot of tequila or even sip of beer or
wine, and definitely not the first puff of tobacco (or any other herb)
smoke...

I think I'll go s(n)ort through the stuff in the back of my fridge now!

and another one for the causality impaired:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/do-you-know-what-i-hate/n9296

- Steve