[FRIAM] The epiphenomenality relation

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 13:09:40 EST 2021

Very nice! I was completely ignorant of that history. If anyone has the full Weinberg paper and is willing to send it to me, I'd be grateful. I've managed to download the others.

This post should probably stop there, on a pro-social "Thanks!" 8^D But Eddington monkey that I am, I'm constitutionally incapable of such. So I  have to disagree with only 1 aspect of your post. The point about phenomenal Lagrangians, swapping out symmetry for conservation, [re]normalization (in this obtuse domain *or* the banal scaling or regularizing of data), etc. is very much on topic for the thread.

While SteveS' response to EricC is well done, it isn't adversarial enough for me. I wrote an incompetent response arguing something similar to the argument that triggered Dave to accuse me of talking like Rupert Sheldrake. In my unposted draft, I argue that only identical modelers can produce identical models. And the upper bound on accuracy of a model reverse engineered from a real artifact is set by the similarity between the original modeler and the one doing the reverse engineering. None of that changes the fact that the models *must* mismatch the world. (And if you buy Wolpert's argument, if they don't mismatch the world, then there's only 1 of them. I.e. they'd be identical. And if you buy Robert Rosen's argument from parallax, it would take an infinity of reverse engineered models to well-approximate the original model.)

But your salvo, here, does provide us with another option for thinking about parallax ... something akin to equivalent efficacy, a way for models to nearly-complement each other such that it's justifiable to put blinders on and work with the more tractable near-complement when it's useful to do so. This echoes and gives pragmatic strength to arguments made by Jon (re: near equivalent adjointness) and SteveS' constant reminders about utility.

I still think this focuses too strongly on *duality* rather than plurality, though. I'm too ignorant of renormalizable theories in physics to know whether there are multiple "complements" amongst which we can flip to and fro, searching for the most "natural"/convenient representation, like a dilettante programmer choosing a programming language for a given task. We certainly have that in the more banal forms of normalization of, say, databases. And that 1st page from Weinberg (and the history as you lay it out) seems to indicate there are, at least, other/older methods, however sloppy. The flex and slop suggested by both SteveS utility and Jon's adjointness *feels* to me like an argument for pluralism over mere dualism.

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ