[FRIAM] Poetry Slams vs biologic Percean Logic Machine Emulator

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 17:46:00 EST 2021

We agree well enough. But I'm pretty sure I agree more with Dave's suggestion that Adams and Trump are similar, or at least that Adams thinks so. And, as long as we fudge the meaning of "Great Communicator" to mean something Adams might like (poet?), then we might get closer to understanding (and agreeing with) the position. So, if we disagree, it's only in that.

Re: signalling -- I'm not at all well-read in PoMo. My guess is that everyone on this list has read more than I have. The only reason my name might come up is because I make an effort to *defend* it when I see the dogpile/groupthink against it. It's so tiresome to see dogpiles on anything. (If you've never been dogpiled, I highly recommend it. It fscking sucks, especially for weirdos who don't like to be touched. I was dogpiled a handful of times back at aTm. They soon learned that I wasn't into that kind of homoerotic bonding and stopped.)

Having waxed about my ignorance, I'll say that I don't think signalling plays any larger role in PoMo reasoning than it does in Mo (or even scientific) reasoning. Peirce's semiotics is a grand example. But *what* is being signaled does play a role in PoMo. The allowance of purely manufactured reality and stigmergy are, to me, the PoMo triggers. A pasty stick boy might wear a trucker hat because he likes hats or he might wear it as an ironic signal to his hipster friends. PoMo leans toward that power/status relationship, whereas Mo leans toward the former. I think its similar with your birds.

Re: registration -- Registration, in my ignorance, means something like classification or binning. But it's classification *without* pre-programmed categories. So more like clustering, I guess. You simply "look" out into the milieu and if you see a cluster, you register it. The process can take time, which then leads to the timing of one's registration. Let's say you walk into a snake handling Pentecostal ceremony and you immediately think "Batsh¡t" and walk out. Well, that's *premature* registration. You should give it a little more time, time to appreciate who's into it for the snakes and who's into it for the religion. 8^D If the Catholics handled snakes, I might *still* be going to church ... because ... snakes!

But premature binding might be a good description of the process where your categories are (mostly) well-pre-defined, especially if you have multiple categorizations. And there's a good argument to be made that *none* of us could ever have a clean slate, without pre-programmed categories. So, binding vs registration becomes a bit of a useless distinction.

Re: negative space -- I *think* my perspective is different from yours. I think in terms of duals, the negative space is exactly as representative as the positive space. It seems to me you think of the negative space as having more openness/unboundedness to it than the positive space. So a manipulator like Trump actually wields the closed/bounded negative space purposefully. It's not that he allows for *any* binding. He whistles so that the number of interpretations are MOST LIKELY to be drawn from a small set. If we were talking about something other than Trump, someone like Walt Whitman or whoever, *they* use negative space more like the way you seem to.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ