[FRIAM] Talent and Moral Luck - Steelman attempt

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 16:16:12 EST 2021

"maybe "what needs to be done" is back down our leverage ( kind of like
limiting the killing power of weapons in the hands of individuals, or the
performance/wastefulness of other technologies with known bad
side-effects... automobiles, water-wasting systems, etc.)"

I very much agree, but I must point out that the usage of *our* is
important. Switching this to *my* effectively describes the last 40 years of
impact that *my* not driving has had, an impact that is perhaps arguably
worse than if I had acted to have more agency in the world. That the offered
alternative appears to be limited to arms-racing to the bottom makes me
wonder if this is simply how it is or are other subtler strategies around.
To be more honest wrt my own position, I don't honestly have the power to do
much in the world anyway. I feel that these musings can be little more than
gossip between fops in the court of the sun king.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/