[FRIAM] Rotary Cell Phone (Description and Build)

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 11:05:11 EST 2021

Yes, my response was messy and pre-coffee. Allow me to try again.

Smacking an acoustic guitar is something like smacking an electric guitar,
and neither is like smacking a keytar. The *novelty arising from misuse*
is maybe the surprise that the keytar *smacks* so horribly or that the
other two artifacts *smack* so well. Still, what do I want from a phone
or alarm clock? In the latter case, I am happy to have reinvented it
for myself. I cannot stand obnoxious buzzing, it takes very little to
wake me, and often there isn't anything that requires me to be up. It
took a little doing, but now a low decibel white noise generator turns
on for me at the time I wish to be awake. For a while, I considered
rigging a servomotor to my curtains and simply letting in light[||].
However, the subtle hum of the motor itself would be enough for me to
stir, especially if I know that I need to be awake for something.

Sometimes, when I think about the analogies made to the econosphere or
the biosphere, I am concerned that the pressures evoked by the analogy
are far too severe, and I am left imagining influences that strongly
determine the phase. As Brian Arthur points out, analog clocks move
clockwise and are usually modulo 12 or the occasional 24. This appears
to be a stable fact of our world, and I wish to point out that it is
expensively so. In cases where there isn't the entirety of the markets
to reinforce a particular design, or need to gain access to specialized
resources, we ought to see quite a bit more variation in design and
possibly other *intuitive* designs.

Sometimes I waffle on how I feel about the qwerty keyboard. Sometimes,
I hate that it slows me down and forces me to siphon off some small
amount of mental resource to the interface. Other times, like with my
mouse, I am annoyed that the convenience promotes certain bad skimming
habits when I read. I guess in the end, the diversity of technology is
good in that it helps me to discover myself, to know better the various
modes of engagement that I can enjoy, and to understand what these modes
have to offer. It may be a moot point with respect to phones as there
may not be much more to want from an interface, the principle components
may all be discovered. I suspect this is the case for the bicycle, and
now we simply refine. I am not so certain that this is the case for
computers and in particular screens. While I personally am skeptical of
technologies like neural-link, I do hope for a future where we reimagine
computer-human interfaces and where I don't need to simultaneously
stare into a strobe light while attempting to concentrate.

[||] Gee, I feel like I sound like Nadine Hurley going on about her silent
drape runners :)

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/