[FRIAM] books, again

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 15:11:42 EST 2021

So, I'm down an arbitrary rabbit hole again. This one spun off by my LOUMFW <http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/falsifying-the-lost-opportunity-updating-mechanism-for-free-will-tp7597285.html> and other attempts to characterize belief in terms of motor control. And it leads me to this paper: http://europepmc.org/backend/ptpmcrender.fcgi?accid=PMC3134523&blobtype=pdf and this guy: https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/profiles/results/directory/profile/9121870/john-krakauer

Lo and behold, he's David's brother, which leads me to this: https://www.cell.com/current-biology/pdf/S0960-9822(17)30709-1.pdf which contains this beautiful statement:

"In science, reading books, let alone writing them, is out. Imagine if a graduate student or post-doc were to say to their PI that they are off to the library to spend a few hours in quiet contemplation. The response would not be pretty."

Of course, he's lamenting the loss of slowness. But like with the [ab|mis]use and natural interfaces thread, it's not clear to me that the loss is obviously something to regret. It feels more like *nostalgia* than actual loss. The fugue states I experience when hooked by a novel (or movie or game) are *offline* states. I'm not paying attention to the dynamic world. Of course, John Krakauer's publications look like they will talk extensively about concepts like "grooves" and Flow. So there must be some subtlety to the interplay between on- and off-line states that make any societal trend away from offline explainable.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ