[FRIAM] Collective sensemaking

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Tue Jul 20 14:51:16 EDT 2021

To somewhat reflect on an exercise like this; it obviously depends on your
understanding of what is "false". A postmodern point of view emphasizes the
importance of perspective, there is no absolute ground truth. If you view
the world from this perspective, then obviously an exercise like this is
meaningless. On the other hand, modernists argue there is a ground truth
and an exercise like this can help to get to the ground truth. (I admit I
don't really know what is postmodernism and modernism, that's my
understanding and I'm open to learn if someone more knowledgeable corrects
me)

Personally, I don't really know where to draw the line. There are obviously
issues where the truth is subjective, but I do think there's enough
validity in an objective ground truth to experiment with an exercise like
this. Take the example from the very first "valid" falsification - Malone
claimed a treatment cost for Remdsivir is approximately $6-$8k and the
submission was made that this is false, it is only about $3k. Malone was
wrong, there's no subjectivity involved, he made an objectively
measurable false claim.

Again, I like to withold my final verdict on the process till it's
completed and we can study the results, but the openness and transparency
of the process enthuses me. Of course, there could be practical reasons why
it does not deliver what's expected?