[FRIAM] Can current AI beat humans at doing science?

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 09:53:33 EDT 2021

I tend to side with Dave and Patrick on this issue, I guess. The following article provides a bit of an on-ramp to my perspective:

Beware explanations from AI in health care
https://science.sciencemag.org/content/373/6552/284

Their distinction is valid and sound. So, the authors would object to the idea that AlphaFold holds any substantive semantics. (By "semantics", I don't mean the modern computer science sense of that, but the more general philosophical sense.) But, in the spirit of true factoids, false narrative, I disagree with the gist of the article.

We can't explain the behavior of animals any better than we can explain the behavior of AlphaFold. In fact, we're much better at explaining the behavior of AlphaFold because, as Feynman suggests, we can *build* AlphaFold (... or some of us can, anyway), whereas we're still having some trouble with synthetic organisms.

But the fact that we can't understand animal behavior does NOT mean much. We've been NOT understanding animal behavior for millennia. Yet we make progress. So, in the end, I side with strong AGI position *and* reject the idea that AlphaFold is categorically different from prior technologies.

The resolution of that apparent contradiction is that I believe *all* explanation is via mimic models. Interpretable algorithms are a convenient fiction. (I.e. all models are always wrong.)

On 7/21/21 4:57 AM, Pieter Steenekamp wrote:
> Prof Dave West,
>
> There is something different happening with the current generation of AI compared to the previous generation. The AI generation of Alan Newell @ Herb Simon, and I also want to include Big Blue that beat Gary Kasparov at chess was just encoding human intelligence and making it much faster. The AI did not contribute any novel concepts to the algorithm, the humans did that.
>
> The current neural network based AI does add novelty to the solution. It learns and gains insight from the data in ways that humans can not.
>
> Take AlphaFold for example, humans do not understand how to predict the folding of a protein by analyzing the amino acid sequence; it's beyond human understanding to do that. It's like AlphaFold looked at the 100000 odd known examples of amino acid sequences and the resulting folded protein structure and say - it's easy, you just look at this, then that, and the resulting folded protein is this. Even comprehending what AlphFold is saying is beyond human understanding - it's there to look at, it's in the weights of the gain and biases of the many connections of the artificial neural network, but humans can just not interpret it.
>
> For a human to understand AlphaFold's reasoning to solve the protein folding problem is like expecting a 2 year old child to understand quantum mechanics. Or like me to understand my wife's mind.
>
> AI does not have general intelligence, maybe it will never happen. But I think it's safe to say that in some narrow fields, like in the protein folding problem, AI is certainly more intelligent than humans. The important issue is that there is evidence that AI does add novelty to the solution.
>
> Pieter
>

> On Tue, 20 Jul 2021 at 22:46, Prof David West <profwest at fastmail.fm <mailto:profwest at fastmail.fm>> wrote:
>
>     __
>     Thirty something years ago, Alan Newell walked into his classroom and announced, "over Christmas break, Herb Simon and I created an artificial intelligence." He was referring to the program Bacon, which fed with the same dataset as the human deduced the same set of "laws." It even deduced a couple of minor ones that Bacon missed (or, at least, did not publish).
>
>     Simon and Newell tried to publish a paper with Bacon as author, but were rejected.
>
>     AlphaFold (which I think is based on a program Google announced but has yet to publish in a "proper" journal) is, to me, akin to Bacon, in that it is not "doing science," but is merely a tool that resolves a very specific scientific problem and the use of that tool will facilitate humans who actually do the science.

> [...]

☤>$ uǝlƃ