[FRIAM] MM implies (*)

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:50:28 EDT 2021

Ha! I did so bad in my undergrad Topology course, the prof took me (and a handful of others) aside and said: "I want to fail all of you. But I don't want to disrupt your degree plans. What grade do you need in order to maintain your path?"

Everyone else answered with "A" or "B". Me, being the idiot I am, answered more honestly with "D". I had good enough grades everywhere else that I probably could have gotten an F and it wouldn't have mattered much. And I literally never gave a sh¡t about grades, anyway. But I wasn't willing to say I could take an F in stride.

That class was very influential ... proving things by yourself up at the chalkboard, etc. But, reflectively, I think he was simply a bad teacher. They exist. There were only ~10 of us in the class and he wanted to fail ~4 of us. It was nice of him to make the offer he did. But maybe it wasn't merely nice. Maybe he knew he was a bad teacher?

--
☤>$ uǝlƃ