[FRIAM] gene-culture coevolution

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Tue Jun 8 03:01:21 EDT 2021

Interesting topic but the paper contains no model: no mathematical theory, no experimental data, no agent-based model, nothing. I think it would help a lot to understand gene-culture coevolution if people would start to notice there are indeed hidden genes in cultural evolution, but that's just my point of view. Cultural evolution is notoriously difficult to model because it is based on language and computers can not understand language (yet). Peter Richerson and Robert Boyd have written a number of books about it and tried to model it mathematically, but it unclear to me how far their complex models match reality. Even religion is extremely difficult to model, although it is the most basic form of a collective organism in cultural evolution. It is difficult to model because it is based on abstract beliefs and the understanding of language. The best model I can think of is a swarm, because the rules of swarm intelligence are isomorphic to the basic religious rules in "abstract behavior phase space" (as I try to explain in the book).It is possible to use abstract models though which simulate strategies like cooperation and defection, collective processes like wars, tributes and taxes, etc. Robert Axelrod's tribute model for example is a classic agent-based model which is useful to study the emergence of states and empires. I have tried to implement the model in 2 dimensions at the weekend:https://github.com/JochenFromm/SwarmIntelligence/blob/master/notebooks/Emergence%20of%20Political%20Actors.ipynb-J.
-------- Original message --------From: "uǝlƃ ☤>$" <gepropella at gmail.com> Date: 6/7/21  22:17  (GMT+01:00) To: FriAM <friam at redfish.com> Subject: [FRIAM] gene-culture coevolution Researchers: Culture drives human evolution more than geneticshttps://phys.org/news/2021-06-culture-human-evolution-genetics.htmlPaywalled Paper:https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2021.0538Accessible version:https://digitalcommons.library.umaine.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1039&context=eco_facpub-- ☤>$ uǝlƃ- .... . -..-. . -. -.. -..-. .. ... -..-. .... . .-. .FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listservZoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriamun/subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.comFRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/