[FRIAM] gene-culture coevolution

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 15:12:45 EDT 2021

Sorry for jumping in inappropriately. It's not even clear to me what y'all are arguing about. But one thing I triggered on is the distinction between, say, an antibody-based immune response (learned immunity) versus snake avoidance (learned behavior). They both seem to me like *behaviors*. Is the prairie dog immunity an innate (not learned) immunity?

A second trigger is that snake avoidance may well be useful for some other (still under pressure) advantage. So, even if we can identify that behavior as having emerged as snake avoidance, maybe it's no longer "snake avoidance". Maybe now it's "spider avoidance" or "lizard avoidance" or not even an avoidance at all ... maybe it makes them cluster in some way that facilitates the finding of food or mates.

But, overall, it seems like Nick's "singing my tune" to some extent in that there are no crisp distinctions between traits. Any fuzzy trait that does appear will likely serve multiple functions (polyphenism) and any thing selected for will likely have multiple ways in which it could be "implemented" (robustness).

The oversimplified Darwinian evolution we see in, say, agent-based models, is unlikely to capture the milieu of the coevolutionary, very messy world. Along those same lines, here's a somewhat related essay:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jun/09/human-genome-genes-genetic-code

--
☤>$ uǝlƃ