[FRIAM] Big data forensics

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri Jun 25 16:28:38 EDT 2021

And also yes:

> On Jun 26, 2021, at 2:49 AM, Marcus Daniels <marcus at snoutfarm.com> wrote:
>
> There are a small number of occasions I can remember that I wish I could remember how a situation arose.   The world goes on roaring around me and mostly I don't have any influence over it.   Nothing is held constant, really.  To remember or communicate the things that work they have to be reproducible and have some story behind them about why they ought to work, or a set of tried and true practices where they have worked.   Having all the .history and keystrokes of everything I have ever typed is not particularly informative about that.   If it is important enough to track, I'll put it in revision control.  The rest is noise and idiosyncrasies of consciousness.   I could easily imagine someone not putting a set of sequences into the SRA because they were not comfortable with the provenance, because they didn't run the equipment themselves, or something like that.   That they just didn't want to pollute the public databases.

A really enjoyable book for me was this one:
https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674576223 <https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674576223>

As usual for lazy people, I seem to have taken on its message as a polarizing filter for numerous things in life, far beyond what the strengths of its 1960s methods warrants, and well outside any justification for using it as a metaphor for solutions to other problems.  But still it’s the kind of a big-concept book that I don’t get to read many of.

Eric