[FRIAM] of straw and steel

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 09:34:06 EDT 2021

It's not even that simple. The publisher prefers subscription over individual articles, groups of serials over individual serials, etc. It's a game of lock-in and domination ... *power* and influence. To think of it in terms of $19/article misses the point entirely.

Were I to take Nick's troll seriously, the question is How did they come up with *that* price, for *that* article in *that* journal? If we assume $19 is more than most individuals would pay for an individual article, then we can infer that the publisher isn't interested in selling that article for $19. The publisher wants to influence the individual to *use* a library. And, better yet, *ask* the library to get the article. And, better still, ask the library to subscribe to the (bundle of) journal(s) that would automatically include that article. So $19 is purposefully too expensive ... maybe just slightly so ...

It's kinda like sin taxes, where They™ want to influence us one way or another to suit whatever Nefarious™ purposes they hold prominent.

Not only do universities apply such influence by propping up libraries, cities can do it, too. Arguably, the ONLY thing that I miss about Portland is Powell's Books, which may *seem* like a book store. But it's definitely more like a library than a book store. It's certainly as different from your local mall's Barnes & Noble as the Trinity College library is from our local library.

Flattening out all this glorious, multi-scalar, multi-modal infrastructure into some narrative about making a buck is preposterous.

--
☤>$ uǝlƃ