[FRIAM] lurking

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 2 11:09:21 EDT 2021

Before the thread leaves games for consciousness ...

A couple of years back, World of Warcraft passed the 1 billion player hour mark. That is just one game. A survey somewhere  around that time claimed that self identified gamers averaged 30+ hours a week engaged in games. The low end of the curve was 20 hours a week (if you did not play that much, I guess you did not consider yourself a gamer) and the high end was well over 100 hours a week.

The question of the day (then): why do people spend enjoy games so much more than real life and especially work life? There was a 'movement', under the umbrella label of "gamification" to apply ideas/principles supposedly gleamed from analysis of why games were so compelling and apply those ideas to education and work in specific, but also life in general.

I have half-dozen or so books on this subject and will look them up if anyone is interested.

davew