[FRIAM] The Possibility of Self Knowledgke

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 09:40:04 EST 2021

Something like what Nick said. Of course people know things about
themselves (in the casual sense of "know") - or - of course people have
self-awareness (if you prefer that phrasing). The only thing to reject is
the suggestion that people magically have infallible / unquestionable
knowledge about themselves. That's part of generally rejecting that the
world is magical. (Title of my eventual pop-culture book: Psychology
without Magic.)

That we most people don't tend to question people's claims about themselves
is a social convention, not a fact about the nature of knowledge. Sometimes
that social convention is very helpful, and other times it causes big
problems.

Why are we talking about this again? Something about computers?

Ok... so... I run the diagnostic that checks my hard drive for bad sectors.
The report comes back that sectors 101-103 are bad. Does that guarantee
those sectors are bad? No. It's a pretty damn reliable indicator, but
there's no guarantee it's perfect.  Maybe some birst of
electromagneticness hit the right part of the motherboard at the right
nanosecond to screw up the diagnostic. Maybe someone hacked the diagnostic
program, and put in a routine that reports back 101-103 are bad every time.
Maybe those sectors registered as bad during the diagnostic, but it was due
to a ridiculously minor flaw in a ball bearing, and next time the
diagnostic is run two completely different sectors will come back as
problematic. No matter which of these options is the case, the computer
blocks off those sectors, and will never write to them in the future. Is
that "self-knowledge"? Is it equivalent to someone who decides "I am bad at
tennis" after one bad experience and never tries it again?

Why are we talking about this?

<echarles at american.edu>